About The Mansion House
The Mansion House
Set in 375 acres of parkland estate, the Mansion House Tearooms and Restaurant is a fine example of classic Georgian architecture that provides a truly beautiful and classic backdrop to your special day. The Mansion House was once better known as Kirby Misperton Hall, since then it has been a number of venues including the club house providing entertainment for Flamingo Land, and the the Tomb of Terror providing adrenaline fueled fun for the visitors. However this beautiful building has finally been restored to its full glory with a £650,000 restoration project. The building, still complete with original features such as its beautifully decorated Georgian ceiling now plays host to The Mansion House Tearooms and Signature Restaurant as well as playing host to a wonderfully original wedding venue.
A Brief History of The Mansion House
Today’s Flamingo Land is founded on the original Yorkshire Zoological Gardens. However, the origin of our 375-acre parkland estate stretches back almost 200 years. Early in the 19th century, King George III commissioned Kirby Misperton Hall as a gift for the Blomberg family. Charles Blomberg had been physician to Charles II, and his descendant, the Reverend F. W. Blomberg – reputedly the natural son of George III – was ‘whipping boy’ and Chaplain to the Prince Regent. After his death, the estate passed to Captain James Anlaby Legard and subsequently to the Tindall family, who enjoyed the estate for nearly 40 years. During their tenure, the Tindalls consistently employed five or six gardeners who kept the grounds in pristine condition. The three Miss Tindalls, Henrietta, Mary and Jane, always took great pride in walking round the large lake every afternoon.
After the departure of the Tindalls in 1903, the hall was bought by local alderman Colonel J.R. Twentyman. The colonel was determined to create authentic Chinese gardens and Italian piazzas, importing Chinese and Italian labourers to ensure authenticity. Three decades passed peacefully, until the estate was sold to a Mr Ainsworth in 1938 and subsequently occupied by troops during the war years. After the cessation of World War II, the house and its grounds passed to a Mr Tyler of Scarborough before being opened as a country club in the 1950s by Major and Mrs Stone.
However, its destiny was to change forever in 1959 when Edwin Pentland and Frances Hick bought Kirby Misperton Hall and saw the potential for a private animal collection. Unfortunately, Pentland and Hick’s finances were rapidly depleted, ultimately requiring funds from public admission to sustain their collection.
During the 1960s, the estate was purchased by Scotia Investments who sold it to the current owners in 1977.
The Mansion House Floor Plan